Bissett is an entry point to Nopiming Provincial Park. It is home to the San Antonio Gold Mine. Situated on Rice Lake, the town was named after the respected physician, surgeon and politician Edgar Douglas Richmond Bissett, a Member of Parliament from September 1926 until July 1930. Gold was discovered in the rural community in 1911 and was a steady industry for many years until closure of the mine in 1983. Bissett's population rises significantly during the summer when the lake cabins fill up. There are also 400 mine employees who stay in camps on the mine property during any given week.